Does Your Name Predict Your Occupation?
Analysis of public records reveals that there's a correlation between first names and professions.
Relatively Rare/Common Names per Occupation
‣ 0.02% of people named Nicki are lawyers.
‣ An Alexandra is more than 5 times as likely (0.11%) as a Nicki to be a lawyer.
‣ A Doyle is more than 10 times as likely as an Ian to be a farmer.
Below: Some of the least (left) and most common (right) names in a profession relative to those names' overall frequencies.
Top Names per Occupation
‣ A higher percentage of people named Zack vs. any other name are musicians.
‣ Meagans are disproportionately common among lawyers.
‣ Grahams and Daphnes have a stronger tendency than people with other names to be writers.
Below: The most common names in each profession relative to those names' overall frequencies.